What is Roll-DPoS exactly? Can anyone help to explain?
Posted by Hao 6 months ago(Updated 6 months ago)

Hey guys, I am a newbie in blockchain. I read the yellow paper but it is too technical to understand. Can someone help to explain more details from scratch? Thank you!

201 Views4 Replies0 Subscriptions
Replies (4)

Found this infographic for you. It is quite clear. Hope it helps.

6 months ago

You should have some basic knowledge first. I have copied and pasted some definitions about different kinds of consensus frameworks. Then you can see the advanced points IoTeX has made in their Roll-DPoS design.

PoS: Proof of Stake (PoS) concept states that a person can mine or validate block transactions according to how many coins he or she holds. This means that the more Bitcoin or altcoin owned by a miner, the more mining power he or she has.

PoW: A proof-of-work (PoW) system (or protocol, or function) is an economic measure to deter denial of service attacks and other service abuses such as spam on a network by requiring some work from the service requester, usually meaning processing time by a computer.

D-PoS: Delegated Proof of Stake (otherwise known as DPoS) is a consensus algorithm maintaining irrefutable agreement on the truth across the network, validating transactions and acting as a form of digital democracy.

Roll-DPoS: Roll-Delegated Proof of Stake (Roll-DPoS) is IoTeX’s in-house consensus mechanisms which enhances DPoS to support sub-chain architectures and large-scale IoT DApps. It not only achieves high throughput and low latency (similar to other DPoS variants), but it also provides instant finality, native heterogeneity to support large-scale IoT systems, and a more democratic approach to DPoS via our voting mechanism, picking a new set of delegates each epoch.

6 months ago

Is there any criteria to become a delegate?

6 months ago

Yup. Based on their Tech AMA from July 2018, they will be providing a voting mechanism for all the nodes/participants in the IoTeX network. Any node can claim the intention to run a Delegate (or masternode as in the question), and all nodes in the network cast vote (1 token = 1 vote) for all candidates. Candidates receiving most number of votes to become Delegates for IoTeX network.

6 months ago